Thursday, January 17, 2008

Travel Advisory

...his lawyer claimed it was some sort of exercise, "Tie chee" or something like that. As far as I was concerned he and his gang were starting something so I defended myself. Hopefully the judge sees it the same way.

On the ride to work this morning I was listening to a band called "Explosions in the Sky". If you've ever seen Friday Night Lights, the movie or the TV show, you'll recognize their music. If I was a more articulate man I would probably describe it as ethereal, like what Sigur Ros would sound like if they grew up in the South (the American South, not the Icelandic South). It's very good background music. I wonder, however, how many out of town fans they get at their shows particularly in the US. If they were playing in say, Atlanta, what would you tell the customs guy if you were flying down to see them? I imagine the conversation would be brief:

Customs agent: "Why are you flying to Atlanta?"
Indie rock fan: "I'm going to see explosions in the sky."
Taser: "Bzzzzzzzzhhhhhhh"

Unfortunately where you'll be going the opening act will be waterboarding and the headliner will be sleep deprivation. You'll disappear faster than Haley Joel Osment's career with even less chance of coming back. No concert is worth the risk of being tortured in Guantanamo, particularly one with no vocals.

No comments: